A DIY blog for the rest of us. So you saw a neat photo on Pinterest or were inspired by a show on HGTV. Can you really do it yourself? Maybe, but it's going to be tougher than it looks. This blog is a journal of my DIY projects: the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully you can avoid some of my mistakes and frustration.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Changing Table

This was a fairly simple project but it did yield a an important lesson. I started with an old computer desk and set out to repurpose it as a baby changing table. Tasks involved sanding the old finish, repainting, routing the door and drawer edges, adding new hardware and installing trim pieces on the top to help keep the changing pad and supplies in place.

My original plan was to strip the original finish, apply new paint and then antique it by sanding the edges and applying a thin layer of dark stain. I did all this on a door from a hutch not used in the conversion and am glad I used the test piece. It turned out the original finish was so strong that the stain would dye the paint but wouldn't do anything to the wood I exposed in the sanding step. I ended up forgoing the antiquing step but may revisit that with dark wood wax in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment