A DIY blog for the rest of us. So you saw a neat photo on Pinterest or were inspired by a show on HGTV. Can you really do it yourself? Maybe, but it's going to be tougher than it looks. This blog is a journal of my DIY projects: the good, the bad and the ugly. Hopefully you can avoid some of my mistakes and frustration.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

A 'quick' restoration

Well, as quick as anything is around here these days. Our newborn son has arrived and his room is a little short on storage. This table was left on our patio by the previous owner. The bottom shelf was decomposing MDF and the top was a couple of paving squares. I know, weird. I stripped everything down and repainted the frame. The old shelves were tossed out and replaced with pallet wood. 

For the new shelves, I used a couple new toys in my shop. The boards were run through a jointer and then ripped and cut to length on a bandsaw. I went back to the jointer to clean up the ripped edges. This gave me a relatively flat surface and enough straight edges for a glue-up. I belt sanded the 'flat' side to even things out and then applied stain and polyurethane. The bottom is unfinished and extremely uneven but that doesn't matter in this case. To get both sides flat I'd need a thickness planer but that's a toy for another day.




No comments:

Post a Comment